Chest of the Mundane
The Chest of the Mundane is a gilded chest that makes items in it appear to be mundane objects.
- Miscellaneous Items
- Rarity: Common
- Weight: 100 kg / 200 lb
- Price: 1 gp
Where to Find
The chest can be found on the northern balcony of the main floor of the Arcane Tower in the Underdark region of Chapter One. (The main floor is the one with the large main gate guarded by Arcane Turrets.)
- While it looks like a regular gilded chest, the Chest of the Mundane is actually a magical chest that makes any items stored in it appear to be completely mundane objects, such as a mug, ladle, plate, and so on. Its effects can be negated by the anti-magic aura of a Sussur Bloom, or by simply by taking the items out of it.
- When the player first interacts with the chest by putting something in it or taking something out, the main character may remark that it is a "Chest of Transformation." Though irrelevant to game mechanics, it's unclear in terms of lore whether the chest merely creates an illusion upon the appearance of items stored within, or temporarily transforms them into a different physical object.
- Glitch as of Patch 6, Hotfix 19: Interacting with the chest within the aura of a Sussur Petal will prevent your character from "realizing" what the chest is. Interact with the storage of the chest (putting something in or taking something out) without a Sussur Petal nearby to gain 25XP.
- Glitch as of Patch 6, Hotfix 19: Putting any piece of equipment into the Chest of the Mundane and taking it back out will permanently apply a glitch to them that prevents the item's tooltip from showing some of its properties (namely, the actions granted to the wearer), and makes the item difficult to equip: you won't be able to equip the item from its right-click menu, by double-clicking on it, or by dragging it into the correct slot. The only way to equip it will be to drag your currently equipped item in the corresponding slot onto the glitched item in your inventory. For example, if you want to equip the Mystra's Grace (which will have this glitch on them because you find them in the Chest of the Mundane in the first place), you have to be currently wearing any pair of boots, and then drag-and-drop your currently worn boots onto Mystra's Grace in your inventory, effectively swapping them in.
- With Patch 1 of 08/25/2023, the chest has been modified once again. Items stored in it no longer change their weight to fit plates, cups, and utensils. With this change, the chest has become a purely lore item and no longer serves any gameplay purpose.