Flame Strike is a level 5 evocation spell. This spell allows the caster to make a pillar of divine flame at a chosen location dealing 5d6 damage and 5d6 damage.
Make a pillar of divine fire roar down from the heavens like the wrath of affronted angels.
At higher levels
Deals an additional 1d6 damage and 1d6 damage for each Spell Slot Level above 5th.
How to learn
- Flame strike is often compared with Fireball:
- When cast with a level 5 spellslot, both deal 10d6 damage total, though Flame Strike has a slight advantage in general due to the mixed damage type it has. Fire damage is often resisted and radiant damage is often not.
- Relatedly, Flame Strike imparts two separate instances of damage for the affect targets, once radiant, once fire. This has many mechanical benefits, but the main one is that it forces all targets who are concentrating to each roll a Concentration Saving Throw twice.
- Fireball requires a direct trajectory between the caster and the target for the fireball to travel, Flame Strike can be used within range as long as the caster has sight on the target location.
- Fireball has a 33% larger radius of effect when compared to Flame Strike
- In 5e, Flame Strike deals 2d6 less damage than a level 5 fireball, while having half the effect radius.
- The incantation for Flame Strike is Torrē, the Latin command "parch/scorch/burn!"