Spells are magical energies from the multiverse conjured by spellcasters (Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, Warlock, etc.) through experience, knowledge, or innate ability to create magical Effects, deal damage to enemies, or heal their allies.
All spellcasters are proficient with Spell Attacks. When they make an Attack Roll with a Spell, they roll against the target's Armour Class:
D20 + Proficiency Bonus + Spellcasting Ability Modifier
Spell Slots[edit | edit source]
Spell Slots are the spellcasters' Resource used to cast Spells. Once Spell Slots are depleted, they can only be regained through a Long Rest, with the following notable exceptions:
- Certain classes like Wizard and some Druid subclasses have the ability to regain a small number of Spell Slots once per day.
- Warlocks only need to take a Short Rest to fully regain their Spell Slots.
Spell Slot Levels[edit | edit source]
Each Spell Slot has a level that corresponds to the level of spells that can be cast using that slot: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and so on.
Upcasting[edit | edit source]
Upcasting refers to when a spellcaster chooses to use a higher level spell slot to cast a lower level spell. Many spells gain additional damage dice, area of effect, targets, or other effects when upcast, but some spells gain no additional benefit. Warlock spells are always upcast to their highest known spell level.
Spellcasting Ability Modifier[edit | edit source]
Your Spellcasting Ability Modifier affects your chance of success with certain spells, and sometimes how powerful they are.
Each class uses a different Ability Modifier for spellcasting:
- Wizards, Arcane Tricksters, and Eldritch Knights use Intelligence as their Spellcasting Ability Modifier.
- Other Rogues and Fighters also use Intelligence as their Spellcasting Ability Modifier for Scrolls and spells from other magical items, despite not being able to cast spells normally.
- Clerics, Rangers, and Druids use Wisdom as their Spellcasting Ability Modifier.
- Bards, Paladins, Sorcerers, and Warlocks use Charisma as their Spellcasting Ability Modifier.
- Barbarians also use Charisma as their Spellcasting Ability Modifier for Scrolls and spells from other magical items, despite not being able to cast spells normally.
Concentration[edit | edit source]
Main page: Concentration
Concentration Spells require the caster to put focus into the spell in order to maintain its effects. If the caster loses Concentration, the spell ends prematurely. A caster can only concentrate on one spell at a time.
When the caster takes damage, they make a Constitution Saving Throw
D20 + Constitution Modifier to maintain Concentration. The result must match or exceed a DC of 10 or half the number of damage they received.
- Ways you can lose Concentration while maintaining Concentration Spells:
- Failing a Concentration Check by taking damage.
- Casting another Concentration Spell.
- Being affected by Conditions such as Downed, Sleeping, Rage, etc.
Prepared Spells[edit | edit source]
Prepared Spells are Spells that certain spellcasting classes must prepare in order to cast. In exchange, these classes know many Spells at low levels and will eventually learn all Spells from their class's Spell List.
Prepared Spells can be swapped at any time outside of combat.
The number of Prepared Spells each class can have at a time is equal to
Spellcasting Ability Modifier + Class Level (Minimum of 1 spell).
Known Spells[edit | edit source]
Known Spells are Spells memorized by certain spellcasting classes. These Spells are Always Prepared. In exchange, these classes know fewer Spells at low levels and will be unable to learn every Spell from their class's Spell List.
- Classes that use Known Spells:
Additionally, Spells granted by Races or by certain Subclasses (such as Cleric Domains) are Always Prepared.
List of Spells[edit | edit source]
All Spells[edit | edit source]
All Spells (Including Variants)[edit | edit source]
Cantrips[edit | edit source]
Cantrips are Spells that can be cast at will without expending Spell Slots.
- Acid Splash
- Blade Ward
- Chill Touch
- Dancing Lights
- Eldritch Blast
- Fire Bolt
- Mage Hand
- Minor Illusion
- Poison Spray
- Produce Flame
- Ray of Frost
- Sacred Flame
- Shocking Grasp
- Thorn Whip
- True Strike
- Vicious Mockery
Level 1 Spells[edit | edit source]
Level 1 Spells are Spells that consume Level 1 Spell Slots when cast.
- Animal Friendship
- Armour of Agathys
- Arms of Hadar
- Burning Hands
- Charm Person
- Chromatic Orb
- Colour Spray
- Compelled Duel
- Create or Destroy Water
- Cure Wounds
- Disguise Self
- Disguise Self: Femme Dwarf, Disguise Self: Masc Dwarf
- Disguise Self: Femme Drow, Disguise Self: Masc Drow
- Disguise Self: Femme Elf, Disguise Self: Masc Elf
- Disguise Self: Femme Githyanki, Disguise Self: Masc Githyanki
- Disguise Self: Femme Gnome, Disguise Self: Masc Gnome
- Disguise Self: Femme Half-Elf, Disguise Self: Masc Half-Elf
- Disguise Self: Femme Halfling, Disguise Self: Masc Halfling
- Disguise Self: Femme Human, Disguise Self: Masc Human
- Disguise Self: Femme Tiefling, Disguise Self: Masc Tiefling
- Dissonant Whispers
- Divine Favour
- Ensnaring Strike (Melee)
- Ensnaring Strike (Ranged)
- Expeditious Retreat
- Faerie Fire
- False Life
- Feather Fall
- Find Familiar
- Fog Cloud
- Guiding Bolt
- Hail of Thorns
- Healing Word
- Hellish Rebuke
- Hunter's Mark
- Inflict Wounds
- Mage Armour
- Magic Missile
- Protection from Evil and Good
- Ray of Sickness
- Searing Smite
- Shield of Faith
- Speak with Animals
- Tasha's Hideous Laughter
- Thunderous Smite
- Witch Bolt
- Wrathful Smite
Level 2 Spells[edit | edit source]
Level 2 Spells are Spells that consume Level 2 Spell Slots when cast.
- Branding Smite
- Calm Emotions
- Cloud of Daggers
- Crown of Madness
- Detect Thoughts
- Enhance Ability
- Flame Blade
- Flaming Sphere
- Heat Metal
- Hold Person
- Lesser Restoration
- Magic Weapon
- Melf's Acid Arrow
- Mirror Image
- Misty Step
- Pass Without Trace
- Phantasmal Force
- Prayer of Healing
- Protection from Poison
- Ray of Enfeeblement
- Scorching Ray
- Spike Growth
Level 3 Spells[edit | edit source]
Level 3 Spells are Spells that consume Level 3 Spell Slots when cast.
- Animate Dead
- Beacon of Hope
- Bestow Curse
- Bestow Curse: Dread
- Bestow Curse: Additional Damage
- Bestow Curse: Attack Disadvantage
- Bestow Curse: Strength Disadvantage
- Bestow Curse: Dexterity Disadvantage
- Bestow Curse: Constitution Disadvantage
- Bestow Curse: Intelligence Disadvantage
- Bestow Curse: Wisdom Disadvantage
- Bestow Curse: Charisma Disadvantage
- Call Lightning
- Feign Death
- Gaseous Form
- Glyph of Warding
- Hunger of Hadar
- Hypnotic Pattern
- Mass Healing Word
- Plant Growth
- Protection from Energy
- Remove Curse
- Sleet Storm
- Speak with Dead
- Spirit Guardians
- Stinking Cloud
- Vampiric Touch