Reduce is a Level 2 Transmutation Spell. This spell allows spellcasters to decrease a creature's body size. Affected creatures deal less damage with their weapons and have Disadvantage on Strength Checks and Saving Throws.
Make a creature smaller.
- Action + Level 2 Spell Slot
- Range: 9 m / 30 ft
At higher levelsCasting this spell at a higher level grants no additional benefit.
How to learn
This spell is a variation of:
- The Constitution Saving Throw only applies when the spell is cast on a non-party member.
- Reduce decreases the Size category of the target creature by 1. This affects the maximum size of creature it can Throw or use as an Improvised Melee Weapon, and vice-versa. For example, a creature of Medium size can only be thrown by a Large or larger creature. When Reduced, a Medium creature becomes Small and can be thrown by a Medium creature.
- While not stated in the spell description, Reduce also decreases the weight of the target creature. The formula used is:
Original Weight / 2.35 = New Weight (minus additional weight, if needed, to place creature in the correct size category)(See Creature Size for more information.)
- The change in size from the spell stacks with the change in size from Disguise Self, making it possible to become a tiny creature (small race + Reduce). As a tiny creature it is possible to go through even the smallest of passageways such as pipes or jumping through the bars of a fence, something even the small races can't do.