Warding Bond is a level 2 abjuration spell. This spell allows spellcasters to bolster an ally's defenses while also sharing any damage they receive.
- Action + Level 2 Spell Slot
- Melee: 1.5 m / 5 ft
At higher levels
Casting this spell at a higher level grants no additional benefit.
Condition: Warding Bond (Target)
Condition: Warding Bond (Caster)
- Creature is bound to an ally. Each time the ally takes damage, the creature takes the same amount of damage.
How to learn
- Class Level 3: Cleric
Granted by the following items:
- ( Recharge: Long rest)
Other ways to learn:
- Also granted by the ring . The spell can only be cast once per Long Rest, and the target must be wearing the matching ring, .
- This spell can be active on multiple allies at once. In such a case, the caster will redirect damage from all allies that have received Warding Bond from them.
- Damage redirected by Warding Bond will trigger a Concentration Saving throw if the caster is Concentrating on another spell.
- Damage redirected by Warding Bond can be reduced by the caster's resistances (if any).
- Warding Bond will remain active on the target party member if the caster is Downed, but will be removed if the caster dies.
- Warding Bond will have no effect on a party member who has already cast Warding Bond.
- If multiple party members cast Warding Bond on each other, Warding Bond will not activate for either party member (Resistances and bonuses to Armour Class and Saving Throws are removed, and damage is not redirected).
- If a party member casts Warding Bond on another party member, then that party member casts Warding Bond on a third party member, Warding Bond will only activate for the third party member (who has not cast Warding Bond).
- Warding Bond will persist if the caster is dismissed back to camp. In such a case, the caster will continue to receive damage redirected from their bonded target, and will be damaged (or potentially dead) when returning to camp.
- This spell must remain Prepared by the caster; removing this spell from the caster's Prepared Spells list will remove the buff from themselves and the party members they cast Warding Bond on.