The Tharchiate Codex
Spoiler warning: The following content contains unhidden spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Where to find
- The Tharchiate Codex is stored in the Sorcerous Vault beneath Sorcerous Sundries in the Lower City. You can reach the vault in two different ways:
- Within the vault, the Codex is located in the Elminster section. To unlock the Elminster door, you must first find the lever at the end of the Silverhand section by opening doors in this order: Silverhand, Evocation, Wish. Alternatively, you may unlock the Elminster door using the Knock spell.
[The pages are covered in esoteric symbols and strange runes, some indecipherable, but some strangely familiar. Your eyes are drawn to one page, describing a long-lost book.]
The Necromancy of Thay
There are secrets of life and death known only to the Red Wizards. Committing such secrets to parchment is a risk they are loath to take, lest the unworthy gaze upon them. Who better, then, to guard their secrets, than the spirits of the jealous dead themselves?
The look upon the Necromancy of Thay is to risk madness at the hands of its spirits. But the wise traveller, who can tread the line between life and death, will find knowledge witnessed by precious few mortals...
[The rest of the entry details the precautions and risks associated with reading the text, but lays out a clear path to unravelling the secrets contained in this tome.]
- Reading this book has the following effects:
- Curses you with Tharchiate Withering (your Constitution score is lowered by 5). This can be cured with Remove Curse or Greater Restoration.
- Once the curse has been cured, you receive The Tharchiate Codex: Blessing passive feature, which grants you Tharchiate Vigour (20 Temporary Hit Points) immediately and also once after every Long Rest. Characters with this condition will lose it immediately after using Withers' Class Change service, but the condition returns after the next long rest.
- After reading The Tharchiate Codex, you can re-read Necromancy of Thay and pass a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw to gain the permanent ability to summon 4 ghouls via the Danse Macabre spell once per Long Rest.