Scorching Ray is a Level 2 Evocation Spell. This spell allows spellcasters to hurl 3 rays of fire at targets within range. You can either target a single creature or multiple creatures with the rays. Each ray rolls a separate Attack Roll and deals Fire damage.
Hurl 3 rays of fire. Each ray deals 2d6Fire damage.
- Action + Level 2 Spell Slot
- 2d6 (2~12) per ray Fire
- Attack Roll
- Range: 18 m / 60 ft
At Higher LevelsUpcast: Casting this spell at a higher level hurls an additional ray for each Spell Slot Level above 2nd.
How to Learn
- Granted by Circlet of Blasting. Recharge: Long Rest
- Also granted by Gloves of Cinder and Sizzle. Recharge: Long Rest
- Also granted by Hellfire Hand Crossbow as a 3rd level spell. Recharge: Short Rest
- A target afflicted by Hex will take an additional 1d6Necrotic damage from each ray.
- When interacting with effects like Death Ward and dealing multiple attacks to the same creature, assuming the 1st attack was sufficient to down the target the 2nd attack appears to apply before the Death Ward activates, which means that after 2 attacks the target would lose the Death Ward but remain with 1HP. If the initial attack would have 3 applications then the target would be downed on 1st attack and again on 3rd attack. In case of Avatars it means that, whilst having a Death Ward applied, they would need to receive 6 attack applications to fully die: 2 to break down the ward, 1 to get downed and 3 more to fail 3 Death Saves. This effect seems to apply to all multi-application attacks, like Magic Missile and Eldritch Blast (as of 22.214.171.12469438).