"You have a history of breaking the law and survive by leveraging less-than-legal connections. Profiting from criminal enterprise will lead to greater opportunities in the future."
Background Features[edit | edit source]
- Deception Proficiency: Gain Proficiency with Charisma (Deception) Ability Checks.
- Stealth Proficiency: Gain Proficiency with Dexterity (Stealth) Ability Checks.
Background Goals[edit | edit source]
Performing certain actions that align with this background will reward Inspiration. These goals can be accomplished by any member of the active party, and Inspiration points are pooled, up to a maximum of 4.
General[edit | edit source]
- A Fine Fortune: Steal an item worth at least 1000 gold.
- Blood Price: Murder an innocent civilian.
- Escape Artist: Escape from jail after being arrested.
Act One[edit | edit source]
- Heretic: Steal the Idol of Silvanus.
- Jailbreaker: Smuggle Sazza out of the grove.
- Serpent's Bounty: Take Zevlor's payment for killing Kagha.
- Show Them How It's Done: Steal from the tiefling children's stash without making enemies of them.
- The Allure of Coin: Steal from a child charmed by harpies.
- Culling the Crowd: Use poison to kill the drunk goblins in camp.
- Slaughter's Prize: Ally with Minthara to loot and slaughter the grove.
- Friend of the Family: Become an ally of the Zhentarim.
- Open For A Surprise: Acquire the Iron Flask from the Zhentarim.
Act Two[edit | edit source]
- Shiny Trinkets and Baubles: Take the drider's Moonlantern.
- Must be done via Deception checks during the convoy ambush, not just killing him and looting the lantern.
- A Dark Edge: Take Shar's dagger from the ritual pedestal.
- The pedestal is found in the Sharran Sanctuary, and taking the dagger will spawn several enemies.
- Notes of an Amateur: Craft some Brewed-Up Bellyglummer.
- Personal Payroll: Discover the Toll Collector's personal hoard. X: -125 Y: -90
- Right Tool for the Job: Obtain all 4 variants of the nurses' tools.
- Always a Way Out: Help the Moonrise prisoners escape.
- An Absolute Douceur: Accept the Absolute's promise of gifts.
- Enter Nostalgia: Trespass into Ketheric and Isobel's respective rooms.
- Escape Artisan: Give Wulbren his tools so the gnomes can escape.
- Long-Awaited Reunion: Hand Isobel over to Ketheric.
- War Profiteer: Find Roah in Moonrise and trade with her.
- Body Heist: Open and loot the mind flayer colony's vault.
- Fickle Allegiances: Betray Balthazar after learning that Nightsong is not a simple relic.
- What's Yours is Mine: Take Shar's gem without aiding or killing the orthon.
- Use Greater Invisibility or similar to sneak in and pick up the Gem.
Act Three[edit | edit source]
- Donations Means 'Free': Steal donated goods from the big barn.
- There's Always a Back Door: Gain access to the Open Hand Temple's hidden door.
- A Pressing Heist: Rig the Baldur's Mouth printing press.
- Back into the Familiar: Gain a way into the Undercellar.
- Key to the Vault: Obtain a way to enter the lower vaults.
- Stacking the Deck: Side with Farlin and the Guild against the Stonelord's smugglers.
- Honour Amongst Thieves: Side with Nine-Fingers against the Zhentarim.
- What Do We Have Here?: Open one of the additional vaults in the lower levels of the Counting House.
- Must be opened via lockpicking.
- Interplanar Cat Burglar: Burgle and escape the House of Hope.