Coatings are Consumables that can apply a variety of effects to equipped weapons that aid in combat for a short period of time. Some coatings apply poisons to deal extra damage, while others improve hit chance, apply Conditions, or impose Disadvantage on the target.
Coatings can be looted, bought from vendors, or crafted with the Alchemy system.
How Coatings Work[edit | edit source]
- Coatings can be applied using a Bonus action to grant an effect to a single equipped weapon set regardless of the weapon type.
- All coatings remain active on the weapon for 10 turns. Only one coating may be applied to a weapon set at a time.
- When dual wielding, coatings are applied to both main hand and off-hand weapons at the same time. Coatings are not applied to both melee and ranged weapons in the same bonus action; each must be applied separately.
- While all coatings can be thrown using the Throw Action only some are able to inflict the coatings effect on multiple creatures, other coatings simply have no effect if used in such a manner. Using coatings as grenades reduces the effectiveness of the coating, with the effects sometimes having lower resistance checks and both the area created and the effect itself lasting for a far shorter time, usually only 1 turn.
- Dipping, which also uses a Bonus Action, applies an effect which is for all intents and purposes a coating, and is mutually exclusive with other coatings. Dipping can be considered a "free" coating, as it does not require a consumable.
- None of the coatings add flat damage increases to weapon damage. All of them instead Inflict status effects that deal damage at the end of the afflicted characters turn. Thus multiple applications of the same coating effect can have no additional effect.
List of Coatings[edit | edit source]
|Common||10||Yes||11||Inflicts Poisoned(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: 3 turns.|
|Common||10||Yes||11||Inflicts Simple Toxin(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: 1 turn.|
|Uncommon||25||No||-||Transforms target's resistance to weakness for Duration: 2 turns.|
|Uncommon||25||No||-||Grants a +1 bonus to Attack rolls and Damage and the ability to overcome Resistance to non-magical damage for Duration: 10 turns.|
|Uncommon||10||Yes||13||Inflicts Sleeping and Poisoned(Constitution Save to negate both) for Duration: Until Long rest.|
|Uncommon||20||No||-||Grants a +2 bonus to Attack rolls for Duration: 10 turns.|
|Uncommon||30||No||11||Inflicts Reduced(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: 2 turns.|
|Uncommon||10||Yes||13||Inflicts Serpent Fang Toxin(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: 1 turn.|
|Uncommon||40||No||-||Inflicts Wizardsbane Oil for Duration: 2 turns.|
|Rare||10||Yes||13||Inflicts Paralysed and Poisoned(Constitution Save to negate both) for Duration: Until Long rest.|
|Rare||Not Craftable||10||Yes||13||Inflicts Paralysed and Poisoned(Constitution Save to negate both) for Duration: Until Long rest.|
|Rare||10||Yes||15||Inflicts Stricken with Malice(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: Until Long rest.|
|Rare||40||No||11||Inflicts Bane(Charisma Save to negate) for Duration: 2 turns.|
|Rare||30||No||-||Inflicts Oil of Combustion for Duration: 2 turns.|
|Rare||50||No||-||Inflicts Encrusted with Frost for Duration: 2 turns.|
|Rare||10||Yes||15||Inflicts Wyvern Toxin(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: 1 turn.|
|Very Rare||10||Yes||19||Inflicts Purple Worm Toxin(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: 1 turn.|
|Very Rare||10||No||17||Inflicts Brewed-Up Bellyglummer(Constitution Save to negate) for Duration: Until Long rest.|
[edit | edit source]
Coatings that can-not be obtained in the game, but are still able to be spawned using 3rd party tools.
Unobtainable coatings[edit | edit source]
Coatings that can-not be obtained in the game and are not able to be spawned using 3rd party tools.
|Resources||Action • Bonus action • Reaction • Movement speed • Concentration|
|Dice rolls||Ability check • Ability score modifier • Advantage • Attack roll • Damage roll (Mechanics) • Initiative • Inspiration • Proficiency (Bonus) • Saving throw|
|Other mechanics||Alchemy • Approval • Damage types • Difficult Terrain • Enchantment • Healing • Reactions • Resting • Stealth • Barter ( Attitude • Traders • Trading and item pricing)|
|Items|| Equipment (Weapons • Clothing • Armour • Shields • Headwear • Handwear • Footwear • Amulets • Rings • Cloaks)
Consumables (Arrows • Coatings • Dyes • Elixirs • Grenades • Potions • Scrolls) • Containers • Miscellaneous
|Ability scores||Strength • Dexterity • Constitution • Intelligence • Wisdom • Charisma|
|Races||Dragonborn • Drow • Dwarf • Elf • Githyanki • Gnome • Half-Elf • Half-Orc • Halfling • Human • Tiefling|
|Classes||Barbarian • Bard • Cleric • Druid • Fighter • Monk • Paladin • Ranger • Rogue • Sorcerer • Warlock • Wizard|
|Character features||Armour Class • Backgrounds • Creature size • Feats • Hit points • Illithid powers • Point Buy • Skills • Spells (List • Mechanics)|