Most races have a base movement speed of 9 m / 30 ft; Dwarves, Halflings, and Gnomes have a base movement speed of 7.5 m / 25 ft; Wood Elves and Wood Half-Elves have a base movement speed of 10.5 m / 35 ft.
Increasing your movement speed[edit | edit source]
Temporary[edit | edit source]
- Rogues receive the class feature Cunning Action: Dash at Level 2, which can double their movement speed as a Bonus action.
- Monks receive the class feature Step of the Wind: Dash at level 2, which can double their movement at the cost of Bonus action + Ki Point.
- The level 1 ritual spell Longstrider increases a creature's movement speed by 3 m / 10 ft until the next Long Rest.
- Certain items can give the Momentum which increase your movement speed by 1.5 m / 5 ft per remaining stack (see the condition page for sources of Momentum).
- Using Jump, or flying can also give a slight increase in movement speed.
Permanent[edit | edit source]
Some classes have class features which increase their base speed:
- Barbarians receive the class feature Fast Movement at Level 5, which increases their movement speed by 3 m / 10 ft while not wearing Heavy Armour.
- Monks receive the class feature Unarmoured Movement at level 2, which increases their movement speed by 3 m / 10 ft. This bonus improves to 4.5 m / 15 ft and 6 m / 20 ft at levels 6 and 10, respectively, with Improved Unarmoured Movement.
A well, the Mobile feat permanently increases your movement speed by 3 m / 10 ft.
Reducing movement speed[edit | edit source]
Movement speed can also be reduced or restricted entirely.
See individual condition pages for infliction sources.
- Stunned cannot move
- Restrained cannot move
- Difficult Terrain halves movement while on a surface that inflicts this
- Encumbered reduces movement speed by 3 m / 10 ft
- Heavily Encumbered greatly reduces movement speed
- Muddy halves movement speed
- Incapacitated conditions cause a creature to become immobile
- Prone conditions cause a creature to use half it's movement speed to stand up
Freedom of Movement can prevent restriction of movement from certain sources.
|Resources||Action • Bonus action • Reaction • Movement speed • Concentration|
|Dice rolls||Ability check • Ability score modifier • Advantage • Attack roll • Damage roll (Mechanics) • Initiative • Inspiration • Proficiency (Bonus) • Saving throw|
|Other mechanics||Alchemy • Approval • Damage types • Difficult Terrain • Enchantment • Healing • Reactions • Resting • Stealth • Barter ( Attitude • Traders • Trading and item pricing)|
|Items|| Equipment (Weapons • Clothing • Armour • Shields • Headwear • Handwear • Footwear • Amulets • Rings • Cloaks)
Consumables (Arrows • Coatings • Dyes • Elixirs • Grenades • Potions • Scrolls) • Containers • Miscellaneous
|Ability scores||Strength • Dexterity • Constitution • Intelligence • Wisdom • Charisma|
|Races||Dragonborn • Drow • Dwarf • Elf • Githyanki • Gnome • Half-Elf • Half-Orc • Halfling • Human • Tiefling|
|Classes||Barbarian • Bard • Cleric • Druid • Fighter • Monk • Paladin • Ranger • Rogue • Sorcerer • Warlock • Wizard|
|Character features||Armour Class • Backgrounds • Creature size • Feats • Hit points • Illithid powers • Point Buy • Skills • Spells (List • Mechanics)|