Explore the Ruins
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Objectives and journal entries may vary pending player decisions and outcomes.
- We met some bandits near some ruins. They've been trying to break into a crypt - with no success. Whatever they're after is probably still inside.
- One of the druids' books mentioned a hidden cache in some abandoned ruins to the south of the grove. We should find a way into these ruins.
- Shadowheart was trying to get into a building to look for supplies. We should see if there's anything useful in there.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Entering the Ruins[edit | edit source]
The ruins can be discovered in a variety of ways:
- Approaching the Chapel Entrance north of the Overgrown Ruins (X:287, Y:332), either falling through the cracked stone or using the door.
- A hatch on a nearby cliff (X:317, Y:363)
- Lockpicking the Ancient Door (X:284, Y:305) northeast of the Overgrown Ruins waypoint (DC 20), then use the Heavy Oak Doors to enter the crypt.
The party encounters a group of bandits if the Chapel Entrance is used. Two of them, Gimblebock and Taman, are arguing over whether they should abandon guarding the crypt ahead in order to explore the fallen Nautiloid ship. If the party approaches the ruins from the platforms up the stairs, then the mage or bowman guarding their respective platform stop them and call over Gimblebock and Taman. Gimblebock believes that the party is trying to loot the ship and tells them to back off.
- I mean no harm - I'm just looking around.
- [PERSUASION] That ship is full of monsters. I wouldn't go near it. (DC 10)
- [DECEPTION] I think that ship's an invasion force. Run while you can! (DC 12)
- [INTIMIDATION] The only thing you own is your life. Leave before I take that, too. (DC 10)
- [FIGHTER] Take your best shot - you'll only get one.
- [WARLOCK] That ship's full of poisonous vapours. Probably demonic. I'd stay away.
- [STRENGTH] I don't want to hurt you, but provoke me, and I'll keep stabbing long after you're dead. (DC 5)
- I am not competition. I am annihilation.
Successfully passing any skill check results in the bandits simply running off. Otherwise, they start to attack the party. Be wary of the cracked stone, as it can collapse from attacks. Characters who fall into the pit enter deeper into the crypt, where another large group of bandits lurks.
If the party goes through the front door, they encounter Andorn. Andorn can either be tricked into believing the party is his boss, or intimidated into letting the party through. Regardless, he is hostile once the party enters the crypt. Moving deeper into the crypt, the party encounters a new group of bandits, who are also hostile immediately upon encountering them.
Moving Deeper into the Ruins[edit | edit source]
Within the crypt is a strange door with no knob and no lock (X:-178, Y:-322). To proceed further, the door must be opened. To enter the passageway, there is a skull that hides a lever (X:-174, Y:-359). Press the lever and the door will open. This leads to the Dank Crypt below.
Within the Dank Crypt are the corpses of several Entombed Scribes. Move further north and go down the stairs, then move towards the northwestern section of the main room. There is a button on the wall (X:-299, Y:-233) that opens up a small room with a sarcophagus. It also resurrects all the entombed scribes, who attack the party.
To the west is a side room, which contains a Book of Dead Gods which reveals more about who is entombed in the crypt. The sarcophagus within the room also contains a Soul Coin, a helpful item for those who recruit Karlach.
Withers[edit | edit source]
Once the Entombed Scribes are defeated, return to the room with the Richly Adorned Sarcophagus. Read the plaque to learn that the being entombed within is known as a 'Guardian of Tombs.' Interact with the sarcophagus to encounter a new being. He asks a simple question - what is the worth of a mortal life? After answering the question, he says he knows the party's faces and will meet with them at the proper time and place.
The strange entity will introduce himself at camp, once a long rest has occurred. His name is Withers and he will resurrect party members for a fee, as well a respec companions and provide hirelings.
Quest Rewards[edit | edit source]
- The Amulet of Lost Voices - in the heavy chest in the room with Withers