Search the Cellar
Spoiler warning: The following content contains unhidden spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Objectives and journal entries may vary pending player decisions and outcomes.
- We found a journal that mentioned a cellar - along with some powerful items. This sounds promising and, more importantly, valuable.
- We found an apothecary's ledger. It mentions some rare plants stored in a cellar - could be worth finding.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The Apothecary's house is immediately south of the Blighted Village waypoint. The quest can be started by reading the Apothecary's Ledger on the counter (X:34, Y:382). The wooden hatch is right behind the counter (X:33, Y:378). There are a number of useful items on the cellar's shelves, including a number of healing potions, but the most important element is a hidden passage.
The Apothecary's Cellar[edit | edit source]
On the Northern wall of the cellar, hidden by a number of crates, is a lever (X:-703, Y:-353). The lever opens a secret passage to an underground cemetery. Of the many coffins strewn about, several contain skeletons that spring to life if their rest is disturbed. Open the Mouldering Casket north of the table with the journal (X:-663, Y:-314). It contains a Dark Journal that reveals the owner of the apothecary was a Red Wizard pursued by zulkirs.
Passing the Ornate Mirror[edit | edit source]
Use this knowledge to approach the Ornate Mirror X: -654 Y: -346 on the southern end of the cemetery. The mirror comes to life and seeks to know if the party is an ally of Ilyn Toth or not. The party can answer the mirror's questions, or bypass it.
There are multiple ways to bypass via skill checks:
- If they read the Dark Journal, the party can try to trick the mirror into thinking they are Ilyn Toth through a
The mirror can also simply be destroyed; however, its medium toughness means that only a hit that deals at least 22 damage can damage it.
Mirror puzzle[edit | edit source]
Otherwise, you must answer a series of questions in the following way to avoid a dangerous trap and gain entry. It is wise to read the books located in the shop above and throughout the cellar that gives clues to get pass the mirror.
What th-ink you of the zulkir know as Szass Tam?
- Szass Tam is a foul, wretched creature.
- A passive
T-tell me, why might one use balsam ointment?
- I read a doctor's journal - he used balsam to clean a wound.
- To clean a wound?
- Balsam disinfects wounds. Surely everyone knows that?
- I use it to clean wounds out in the wilds.
...if you could see an-ything in me, what w-ould it be?
- I'd look for whatever spell will rid me of this worm in my head.
- I'd see how to safely keep the powers this mind flayer's worm has given me.
- [BARD] Nothing good tends to come of ambition in stories like this. I would see you freed.
- [SORCERER] Nothing - you're a thing of magic. I can shatter this prison for you, if you wish.
- [Astarion] I'd see how to safely keep the powers this mind flayer's worm has given me.
- [Gale] I'd see myself in my next incarnation: a living manifestation of Netherese magic. A mythal in my own right.
- [Karlach] I'd see myself whole again. My heart beating away in my chest. And Zariel's head on a pike for good measure.
- [Lae'zel] I'd see myself as a kith'rak: ghaik head in one hand, silver sword in the other.
- [Shadowheart] I'd see myself as Shar's Chosen, with all her power at my disposal.
- [Wyll] I'd see Mizora, cowering before me and begging my mercy.
If you fail the mirror's questions, it will unleash a flaming sphere that will began to float around, leaving a small trail of fire and unleashing a burst of flames, dealing 2d6 with a DC 12
Once the mirror opens the way, Ilyn Toth's lecturing hall is revealed. Of note is the Moonhaven Logbook (X:-668, Y:-355) which contains Toth's observations of the comings and goings of various individuals. Additionally, on the eastern side of the room is a heavily trapped area. Disarm the pressure plate (DC 15), the Gargoyles (DC 15), and the book's pressure plate (DC 10) to avoid brutal traps, or simply escape the room before being set on fire. This heavily guarded tome is the Necromancy of Thay book and acquiring it initiates both Unlock the Ancient Tome and Destroy the Ancient Tome.
Quest rewards[edit | edit source]
- , which requires a Dark Amethyst to fully unlock.