Forging a Heart
Forging a Heart is a sub-quest of the quest Servant of None for Karlach's origin in Act One of Baldur's Gate 3. Karlach's infernal engine needs repairing by an infernal mechanic, the nearest being Dammon, who can be found at his makeshift forge in the Emerald Grove.
Spoiler warning: The following content contains unhidden spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Karlach's engine can receive three upgrades from Dammon, who can be found in a new location during each Act: The Hollow during Act One, Last Light Inn during Act Two, and the Forge of the Nine during Act Three.
If the first upgrade is done in The Grove, then Dammon says he needs to think further on how he can help Karlach. He won't have a clear idea until after the party meets up with him again in the Last Light Inn. If the party initially encounters Dammon at the Last Light Inn, both upgrades can be received after a Long Rest. If Dammon was met in Baldur's Gate, then both upgrades can be received at the Forge of the Nine after a Long Rest.
Emerald Grove[edit | edit source]
Dammon will examine Karlach's engine, and relay that it might be repaired, but he will need some Infernal Iron. During Act One, it can be found at the following locations:
- Inside a chest in the basement of a house in Blighted Village X: -434 Y: -370.
- Inside Dror Ragzlin's Treasure Crates in Shattered Sanctum X: 298 Y: 66.
- Inside a trapped chest, in a locked room in the Zhentarim Basement X: 285 Y: -165.
- Purchased from or given by Stonemason Kith in Grymforge X: -662 Y: 375.
Karlach can return to Dammon with the iron, which will improve her condition, but not completely stabilise it.
Note that if Dammon dies (for example, during the raid on the grove), there are no other infernal mechanics available to continue this quest.
Last Light Inn[edit | edit source]
If Dammon makes it to the Shadow-Cursed Lands, he will be found at the Last Light Inn. He will need another piece of infernal iron to make more improvements; any remaining iron from Act One can still be retrieved at this point, otherwise some can be found in the Shadow-Cursed Lands:
- In the Reithwin Mason's Guild X: -106 Y: 17
- Inside an Opulent Chest in the vault room near Balthazar, Gauntlet of Shar, X: -821 Y: -752.
This time, Dammon's repairs will allow Karlach to touch people without burning them up.
Lower City[edit | edit source]
During Act Three, Dammon can be found at the Forge of the Nine in the Lower City, to give one last tune up to Karlach's engine. He will again need infernal iron, which can now only be retrieved from locations around Baldur's Gate:
- Found on the floor in Flymm Cargo's Basement X: -1078 Y: 312.
- Can be looted from Steel Watchers in the Lower City of Baldur's Gate.