Rescue the Gnome
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Objectives and journal entries may vary pending player decisions and outcomes.
- We spotted a deep gnome tied to the blades of a windmill. He's being tormented by a group of goblins.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The objectives of this quest are relatively simple - free Barcus. Approaching the Windmill (X:13, Y:418) automatically initiates a conversation with Fezzerk the goblin leader of the group. From there, the player has multiple ways to resolve the situation.
- Convince Fezzerk with different social Skill Checks or using Illithid Persuasion.
- If you are a Drow, a Performance, Deception or Intimidation at a DC 5 to convince him to go away.
- If you are any other race and say you 'just want to pass by', you can pay him 1000 Gold to leave.
- Having the Brand of the Absolute will have him leave.
- Using a Illithid Persuasion at a DC 2.
- The player can also choose to use violence by attacking them.
- The player is also free to do nothing and leave Barcus spinning.
Should the player choose the violent approach through conversation, Fezzerk and his gang will fight to the death. If attacked otherwise, the goblin boss will surrender when near death, making his gang run away.
Once the Goblins have been dealt with, the player needs to go to the interior of the windmill to stop it from spinning, and allowing them to free Barcus. It is important to note that there are two levers inside the Windmill, and that the player must choose the "Brake" lever to safely stop the Windmill.
Choosing to use the "Release Brake" lever instead forces the windmill to an abrupt, violent stop, leading to Barcus being launched into the sky by inertia, and subsequently dying.
If the windmill is stopped properly, the player can then free Barcus by interacting with him. Barcus offers the player his luggage (which contains various goods, including a Smokepowder Satchel) in the basement of the windmill, reasoning that lugging around the extra weight was what got him caught in the first place. Note - actually saving Barcus is not required to obtain this quest reward, as his luggage will be in the basement regardless.
Quest Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 75 xp for saving Barcus Wroot
- Smokepowder Satchel
- The Speedy Lightfeet in the heavy chest next to Barcus' satchel
- Very Heavy Greataxe (If Fezzerk is killed)
- Smokepowder Bomb (If Fezzerk is killed and didn't use it.)
Consequences[edit | edit source]
Saving Barcus has far reaching consequences for many quests, including Save the Grymforge Gnomes, Rescue Wulbren, and Avenge the Ironhands. He can be seen throughout Acts Two and Three if he is rescued.