Get Past the Rubble
Get Past the Rubble is a sub-quest of The Adamantine Forge in Act One of Baldur's Gate 3. It can be started by speaking with Herdmaster Skarjall at Grymforge or using Speak with Animals to speak to the deep rothé.
Spoiler warning: The following content contains unhidden spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Objectives and journal entries may vary pending player decisions and outcomes.
- We found a passage buried in rubble that leads to the Adamantine Forge. We should clear it.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
After entering Grymforge, climb the stairs and move north to encounter Herdmaster Skarjall X: -658 Y: 443. Skarjall orders the party to whip the Deep Rothé that are clearing out some rubble. If asked why, Skarjall can be persuaded (DC 15) to tell the party there is adamantine nearby and shows them a piece of Adamantine Slag as evidence. He says he'll pay the party in gold if they help clear the rubble, but that the Adamantine Forge is clan property.
How the party handles the deep rothé can impact how the rubble is cleared:
- If the party baits Skarjall into whipping the beasts again, by telling him the rothé deserve the whip and asking why he can't crack his whip one more time, then both Skarjall and the rothé become hostile.
- If the party passes an
- If the party uses Speak with Animals to speak with the rothé, they can also be convinced to clear out the rubble or turn on the duergar.
- The party can whip the rothé themselves, which turns the rothé hostile.
If the rothé are convinced to keep working, Skarjall turns on the party, saying he wants all the spoils for himself. However, the rothé aid the party in defeating him. If the party simply told the rothé to turn on their masters, then they can be asked to clear out the rubble afterwards. The rubble can also be destroyed using bludgeoning or force damage (ie spells like Eldritch Blast or smokepowder bombs).
You can push enemies over the cliff edge as they have no special loot.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This quest is entirely optional - the Adamantine Forge can be accessed in other ways, such as using Misty Step or Fly (see the Adamantine Forge quest for more details).