Help the Devilish Ox
Spoiler warning: The following content contains unhidden spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
- We met an odd creature. It has the shape of an ox, but is clearly something else. We agreed to help it reach the city. It transformed into an apple so we could carry it.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Note: In order to receive this quest, the Strange Ox must have survived both the Grove and Last Light Inn, and must not have been attacked by the party at Last Light Inn. There also seems to be a cutoff point to the quest, either failed interactions with the Ox, crossing into the main area of the city after the fortress, or progressing the main storyline too far - a recommendation would be to trigger the quest in the earliest stages of the Act.
The Strange Ox can be found in Rivington inside a stable near the Requisitioned BarnX: 41 Y: -143. An Arcana check indicates that the Ox is indeed the strange Ox from past encounters. Using Speak with Animals allows its quest to be undertaken. The Ox states it is delighted to see the party and say it is trying to get into the city proper. After this, the following options appear:
- Not until you tell me exactly what you are.
- I suppose so. What form will you take?
- Maybe some kind soul might. But not me.
Smuggle the ox[edit | edit source]
If "I suppose so. What form will you take?" is chosen, the Ox transforms into a Strange Apple, which the party can pick up. The apple remains until the party reaches the Lower City. After which, it disappears, leaving behind a note.
Attack the strange creature[edit | edit source]
If "Not until you tell me exactly what you are," the Ox tells the party they do not want to go down that road. The following choices appear:
- I assure you I do. Tell me what you really are, or I'll strike you down myself.
- Fine. I'll help you. Let us leave it at that.
- Then you go your way, and I'll go mine.
If "I assure you I do. Tell me what you really are, or I'll strike you down myself." is chosen, then the Ox transforms into a level 9 ooze. Once the ooze is defeated (200 xp), it drops a Hat of Fire Acuity, Shapeshifter's Boon Ring, and two random high-quality gems (e.g., Diamond, Jade).
Quest rewards[edit | edit source]
If the ox is safely brought to the Lower City:
- The Strange Ox becomes an ally as part of Gather Your Allies, and can be summoned with An Apple a Day during the final battle against the Elder Brain.