The Hellion's Heart
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Objectives and journal entries may vary pending player decisions.
- Karlach needs an infernal mechanic to tune up the engine she has for a heart. There might be one nearby.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The Hellion's Heart is started after Karlach is recruited and opens up about her Infernal Engine. For example, if Karlach was taken to defeat the Paladins of Tyr as part of Hunt the Devil, she admits that he engine has been running hot ever since she left Avernus and that she needs to find an infernal mechanic.
Finding an Infernal Mechanic[edit | edit source]
It's possible to catch up with the infernal mechanic in three places:
- At the Druid Grove, in The Hollow.
- At the Last Light Inn, in the barn.
- In the Lower City, at the Forge of the Nine
The mechanic in question is a tiefling named Dammon. When the city of Elturel fell to Avernus, Dammon was there and was put to work as a mechanic. Upon meeting Karlach, he instantly recognizes that her heart is from the hells. He believes that he can help her, but he needs to materials to do so. He has spotted several pieces of Infernal Iron on his travels and believes that it's what's needed to aid Karlach.
There are many places where Dammon can die. During the raid on the Grove in Raid the Grove, Dammon can become a casualty. Dammon can die during an attack on the Last Light Inn by Marcus and his minions. If Dammon makes it to Baldur's Gate, he's safe, so long as the party doesn't randomly murder him.
Infernal Iron Locations[edit | edit source]
There are several different places to find Infernal Iron. Karlach's heart only needs two in total to get the full set of upgrades from Dammon. Possible locations include:
- In the basement of the Blacksmith's House in the Blighted Village - inside the same chest as the Highcliff's Blueprints.
- In the locked room above Dror Ragzlin's throne in the Shattered Sanctum.
- Received from Kith in Grymforge if all three checks are passed about the Ruins.
- Inside the Mason's Guild in Reithwin Town in the Shadow-Cursed Lands.
Upgrading Karlach's Heart[edit | edit source]
In order to repair Karlach's heart, return to Dammon with Karlach in the party. Karlach has to install the upgrades herself, so this only works if Karlach is present.
After the first upgrade, Karlach still feels hot, but not as bad as before. She feels more powerful than ever, but it's not enough to solve the problem. Dammon commits to keep working and says that he'll consider the possibility of enchanted coolant. He advises the party to keep an eye out for more Infernal Iron on the road for when they meet again.
Once the second upgrade is complete, Karlach is able to touch other people again without burning them up. She is immensely excited and can be hugged. The moment is highly significant for Karlach, who hasn't touched another person in ten years.
If the first upgrade is done in the Grove, then Dammon says he needs to think further on how he can help Karlach. He won't have a clear idea until after the party meets up with him again in the Last Light Inn. If the party initially encounters Dammon at the Last Light Inn, both upgrades can be received after a Long Rest. If Dammon was met in Baldur's Gate, then both upgrades can be received at the Forge of the Nine after a Long Rest.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although the Steel Watch has unique interactions to Karlach's infernal engine and the Gondians worked with infernal iron, there are no options to pursue more solutions for Karlach past the two upgrades with Dammon.