The Adamantine Forge (Quest)
The Adamantine Forge is a quest in Act One of Baldur's Gate 3 in Grymforge. It is initiated by learning of the forge of the same name by reading The Great Furnace of Grymforge, Filro the Forgotten's journal, or speaking with Dhourn after freeing him of the Spectator's petrification or casting Speak with Dead on his corpse.
- For the location of the same name, see The Adamantine Forge (Location).
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Objectives and journal entries may vary pending player decisions and outcomes.
- We learned than an adamantine forge is hidden deep within the Underdark.
- A group of drow wizards were looking for the Adamantine Forge, but they ended up fighting over the forge's secrets they each had.
- The forge is guarded by a guardian who is weak to magma and some kind of 'hot hammer'.
- To use the forge, we need to place a mould and mithral ore into their respective chambers, then pull the lever.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Discovering the Forge[edit | edit source]
To learn about the Adamantine Forge, there are a trio of drow wizards who each hold a unique piece of information about the forge. Each of them have met a terrible fate in the Underdark.
Dhourn[edit | edit source]
Dhourn is one of many petrified drow west of the Selûnite Outpost. An easy way to get to Dhourn is by entering the Outpost near the statue of Selûne and move to the broken window (X:141, Y:-240). Walk through it and climb down the knotted roots. Continue moving west and a cutscene triggers where the party moves past the droves of petrified drow. A Spectator appears and attacks the party. On its first turn, it resurrects drow, typically starting with Dhourn. Dhourn and any other drow the Spectator ressurects are charmed until the Spectator is defeated, when they become neutral.
Keep Dhourn alive and he'll talk to the party, otherwise his corpse can be spoken to with Speak With Dead. He reveals that he has a with information on the Adamantine Forge. Dhourn explains that he had two other rivals seeking the forge but, after realizing how long he was petrified, he is the sole person left to claim the glory for discovering the Forge. After this, he and any unpetrified drow attack the party, as he sees them as possible rivals.
An Arcana check (DC 10) is needed to probe the thoughts within the shard. If successful, it shows images of the Adamantine Forge and hints to its location beyond an ancient stronghold.
Filro the Forgotten[edit | edit source]
Filro the Forgotten (X:-50, Y:-163) has a camp south of the Sussur Tree Waypoint. He has gone mad during his time in the Underdark and becomes hostile upon detecting the party, alongside several Hook Horrors. Once he has been defeated, loot his corpse to obtain his Scribbled Notes. When the notes are read, an automatic Investigation check (DC 15) is attempted by the whole party. Succeeding reveals that the forge guardian is weak to magma and a 'hot hammer.'
Xargrim[edit | edit source]
Xargrim can be found beyond the Guardian Gate (X:55, Y:-88) in Ebonlake Grotto. The gate is to the north of where Sovereign Spaw is located. In order to access Xargrim's corpse, the party can complete Defeat the Duergar Intruders and the myconid Sovereign opens the gate. It is possible to open the gate by force, by attacking it, in instances where the myconids have become hostile.
- [INVESTIGATION] Examine the book closely. (DC 15)
- [NATURE] Recall what you know of this title. (DC 15)
Reaching the Forge[edit | edit source]
One way to access the Adamantine Forge is by completing Get Past the Rubble. Once the rubble is clear, follow the (fairly linear) pathway until an Iron Ladder (X:-648, Y:409) allows the party to climb down. There is a moveable metal platform that connects to a walkway - jump on it to encounter a set of levers. The levers can be used to descend another two sets of metal platforms, but this isn't necessary. Instead, the party can walk further south on the first walkway until they come across a broken statue. The statue remains can be jumped across to move to the second platform (X:-624, Y:344). Send one party member over to the next platform using this method, then move them south to find a set of two levers. Operate the levers to move the party members on the other side, then have the party members jump down to the new area. This should instantly activate the Ancient Forge Waypoint. Teleport to the waypoints to reunite the party.
Another way to skip most of the journey to the Forge - the party can use Fly, Misty Step or simply jump (requires sufficient strength), near the platform east of the cave-in (X:-607, Y:314) to bypass the rubble entirely. The area where this moves the player to is very close to the Ancient Forge Waypoint, so the character who Misty Steps need only activate it and then use the waypoints to move the rest of the team up to the Forge.
Forging an Item[edit | edit source]
In order to forge an item, the party needs mithral ore and a mould.
Finding the Moulds[edit | edit source]
The moulds can be located around the Forge area:
- Longsword Mould (X:-625, Y:404) - On the metal scaffolding
- Scimitar Mould (X:-604, Y:323) - Looted from a skeleton near some levers
- Mace Mould (X:-613, Y:284) - On the table south of the Ancient Forge Waypoint
- Shield Mould (X:-558, Y:409) - Looted from a skeleton behind a locked door (DC 12)
- Scale Mail Mould (X:-616, Y:264) - On the ground southwest of the Ancient Forge Waypoint
- Splint Mould (X:-594, Y:310) - East of the Ancient Forge Waypoint near a skeleton
Finding the Mithral[edit | edit source]
There are two Mithral Veins:
- Southwest of the Ancient Forge Waypoint. It causes several Animated Armours to become hostile. After defeating them, move to the rocks southwest and follow the path to a lava-filled area. Jump across the rocks to find the vein (X:-645, Y:255).
- On the steps leading down to the Forge, follow the rocks east. A group of Magma Mephits ambushes the party (X:-556, Y:277).
Combining the Materials[edit | edit source]
- Place the mithral ore into the Crucible at the center of the Forge
- Place the desired mould in the Mould Chamber
- Use the Forge Lever on the southern side of the platform to lower it down to the lava
- Once the platform is lowered, use the Lava Valve to fill the area with lava
- Use the Forge Lever to cause the Forge's hammer to hit the mould, shaping the item
- Use the Platform Control button near the lever to make the platform go up
- Pick up the completed item at the mould chamber
The first time the Lava Valve is used, Grym appears to defend the Forge. Defeat it while continuously adding lava, as Grym cannot be damaged unless it has the superheated condition. The 'hot hammer' mentioned by Filro is the Forge's hammer - draw Grym to the center of the platform and use the Forge Lever to hit it with a huge amount of damage.
To make a different item, use the Mould Ejection Lever to replace the mould. Repeat the steps to make a new item.
Quest Rewards[edit | edit source]
By successfully acquiring all mithral ore and using the furnace twice, two of the following items can be created:
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Forged in Blood and Fire|
Craft an item in the Adamantine Forge.
|A Grym Fate|
Kill the Adamantine Golem without using the Forge Hammer.