Shadowheart is a Half-Elf Cleric of the Trickery Domain, who appears in Baldur's Gate 3 as a side character or origin character. She is also available as a Companion. You can recruit her by freeing her from a Mind Flayer pod during the Prologue, and later find her unconscious on the ground, close to your character, after the crash of the Nautiloid. If you had not freed her, she will instead be found near the ruins of the crash, trying to use her weapon to open a door.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
As a Cleric, Shadowheart is capable of casting spells, healing and buffing allies, and tanking damage for her party. Her subclass is Trickery Domain, allowing her to cast a variety of stealth and illusion magic not normally available to Clerics.
Shadowheart's Background is Urchin.
Starting Stats[edit | edit source]
Skill Proficiencies[edit | edit source]
Builds[edit | edit source]
Personality & Background[edit | edit source]
Shadowheart is reserved and hesitant to reveal information about herself, her motives, or the artifact she carries. She displays a particular dislike of Githyanki such as Lae'zel. Often, she seems indifferent to the plight of others; however, she does not explicitly take pleasure in their suffering, and will disapprove of unnecessary cruelty and violence. She will usually approve of finding non-violent solutions to situations, and treating animals and children with compassion.
You can learn the following about Shadowheart's background by talking to her throughout your campaign:
Spoiler warning! This section reveals details about the story of Baldur's Gate 3.
Shadowheart is a worshiper of the goddess Shar. Before the events of Baldur's Gate 3, she was part of a small group of Shar worshipers who boarded the Nautiloid that attacked the city of Baldur's Gate. Her strike team is eliminated by the Mind Flayers, and she is captured. Shadowheart carries a strange and powerful artifact that she recovered from the Nautiloid.
Approval & Romance[edit | edit source]
Shadowheart Approves[edit | edit source]
- Persuade the Tieflings to let Lae'zel go without a fight.
- Ask Lae'zel to say 'please' after rescuing her.
- Kill the skeletons inside the Dank Crypt and trigger her "!", tell her you agree with her.
- Read the Book of the Dead Gods inside Dank Crypt and succeed the Religion Check.
- In camp on the first night tell her you agree with her about finding a healer as soon as possible.
- Persuade Aradin and Zevlor to stop fighting.
- Persuade Arka not to kill Sazza.
- Show the Tiefling Guex how to fight.
- Rally the Tiefling children during their training.
- Persuade Kagha to free Arabella.
- Swear to take the Wyvern Poison.
- Decline the devil's offer to remove the tadpole.
- Tell her you would never trust a devil.
- Crush the tadpole that leaves True Soul Edowin.
- Persuade the goblins to let you pass into the Blighted Village.
- Tell her that you don't care who she worships.
- Ask her about her faith, then persuade her that you have no problems with it.
- Talk about her missing memories, make her promise to point out Night Orchids.
- When entering the Sunlit Wetlands, pass the check to break the illusion, then BAA at the redcaps when you speak to them.
- Demand that Crusher kiss your foot.
- Agree to Abdirak's ritual for Loviatar.
- Pass the Deception Check when speaking to the Githyanki Patrol.
- When she has odd magical flare-up, choose to change the subject and ignore it.
- Tell BOOOAL he is a fake god, tell him you are going to kill him and take his power.
- Pet Scratch.
- Pet the Owlbear cub or send him to your camp.
Shadowheart Disapproves[edit | edit source]
- Attack the Tieflings.
- Let Lae'zel make Zorru bow.
- Tell Lae'zel she's good at interrogations.
- Tell Auntie Ethel about the tadpole.
- Tell Astarion you trust him.
- Take her to the Chicken Chase in the Goblin Camp, and tell her not to be hasty.
- Agree to kill Karlach for Anders.
Romance[edit | edit source]
Similarly to other characters, her first important romance scene will be unlocked during the Party by proposing to have a drink in private with you. Shadowheart will only propose it to you if you sided with the Tieflings and if you have at least medium approval. You'll meet her away from camp later that night, where you will have a deep conversation. After some dialogue, the camera fades and returns a few hours later showing both of you laying on the ground, holding hands. You can choose to kiss her, and then both will return to camp.
Next day, you can have a conversation with her regarding the previous night. Her dialogue will depend on her level of approval.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shadowheart is voiced by Jennifer English.
- According to Larian Studios, until Patch 3, Shadowheart was the most romanced female companion and the second most romanced companion overall.