Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Trader of Quirks and Sundries|
Sister of the Seeing Pearl
|Movement Speed||9m / 30ft|
|Weight||75kg / 150lbs|
|Location||The Hollow, Riverside Teahouse|
|Experience on kill||150 (Act One)|
|Voice actor||Rena Valeh|
Auntie Ethel is a fussy trader of potions, lotions, quirks, and sundries who can be first encountered in The Hollow of the Emerald Grove. Later, she will return to her home at the Riverside Teahouse in the Sunlit Wetlands.
If killed, her body can be spoken to using Speak with Dead.
Act One[edit | edit source]
In the Druid Grove[edit | edit source]
Auntie Ethel can be found in the The Hollow in the Emerald Grove, peddling "Potions and Lotions" to the Tiefling refugees. She's able to spot that something is off with the party and invites them to visit her at her home, the Riverside Teahouse.
- While in the Emerald Grove she is also a trader. If the party reaches the Sunlit Wetlands, Auntie Ethel moves from the Emerald and will appear in the Wetlands, and then eventually at the Teahouse.
- If you interact with Pandirna in the storage house next to the Emerald Grove jail, she will tell you Auntie Ethel gave her a potion to make her "strong and brave as a bugbear," but it left her paralyzed instead. Following this interaction, Auntie Ethel will no longer be at her hut in the Emerald Grove.
- If successfully pickpocketed while in the Emerald Grove she will exclaim "Blast it all! I'm going home." and leave the area. This will also happen if she is attacked. She then heads home to the Riverside Teahouse.
In the Riverside Teahouse[edit | edit source]
When the party arrives at this location, Auntie Ethel can be found forcing Mayrina to eat. If the party takes Ethel up on her offer for help, she will attempt to remove the Tadpole before stopping and declaring the Tadpole modified by ancient Netherese magic. The price for her help is to give up an eye to her, which she refuses to reverse despite failing to cure you.
Allowing Auntie Ethel to take your eye changes the appearance of one eye of your choice and gives you Paid the Price (Condition). You cannot take this deal if Volo has already replaced one of your eyes or if you are playing as Wyll.
If the party takes her up on her offer, initiates combat, or attempts to infiltrate down into her lair, the Overgrown Tunnel, Auntie Ethel will reveal her true form: that of a Hag.
Act Three[edit | edit source]
In the Blushing Mermaid[edit | edit source]
Even if killed in Act One, Auntie Ethel will reappear in her Hag form during the Help the Hag Survivors, Avenge the Hag Survivors, and Save Vanra questlines. She can be found posing as Captain Grisly in The Blushing Mermaid in Lower City. Her lair is located under this tavern and can be infiltrated through the basement. It is revealed that she is functionally unkillable while her life force is invested in her magic mushrooms, which is how she survived being killed during Act One. If killed previously, she's more hostile with the party, preventing the party from demanding a counter-offer to leave her alone. This does not prevent her from being acquired as an Ally for Gather Your Allies if Lora is killed and Auntie Ethel is left alone, however.
- It is recommended that you begin the Save Vanra quest by speaking with Lora prior to completing the Hag Survivors questlines and defeating the Hag. Failure to get this quest from Lora directly, even if Vanra is saved, will lock you out of its quest rewards.
Shop[edit | edit source]
Notable Items Sold[edit | edit source]
The following items are restocked after a long rest:
Speak with Dead[edit | edit source]
Ethel is quite unique in that her Speak with Dead dialogue changes depending on whether she still has the Tarnished Charm on her corpse when talking to her. Unlike most corpses, she will be willing (if angry) to speak to her killer.
With Tarnished Charm[edit | edit source]
*A charm on the hag's body flashes a faint glow.*
- Auntie Ethel: ARGH. You knuckle-dragging gobshite.
- Auntie Ethel: You will bleed - you will choke on your own guts for this. (if the caster is Ethel's killer)
- Auntie Ethel: ARGH. Where is the knuckle-dragging gobshite that killed me? (if the caster is not Ethel's killer)
- Player: You're quite lively for a corpse.
- Auntie Ethel: I'm a hag, you little snot - you think I didn't plan for this? Death and I are old friends.
- Auntie Ethel: But I won't be a corpse forever - that I can bloody promise you.
- Player: Tell me the truth - what did you want with Mayrina?
- Auntie Ethel: I didn't want the girl, sweetie. I wanted her babe.
- Auntie Ethel: I would have gobbled it up and given birth to my very own hag daughter.
- Auntie Ethel: From my guts she would've come - my blood, my bile. It would have been glorious.
- Player: Does being dead bother you? (if the caster is not Ethel's killer)
- Auntie Ethel: You think this is the first time? I've found my way back before, and I will again.
- Auntie Ethel: And then I will make the cretin beg, plead, weep for what will always be denied...
- Auntie Ethel: ...The sweet release of death.
- Player: You're dead and I'm not. Deal with it. (if the caster is Ethel's killer)
- Auntie Ethel: For now.
- Player: Why are you so cruel?
- Auntie Ethel: Please. It's you lot who come to me. All you do is want - to be prettier, to be richer, to be loved.
- Auntie Ethel: People are their own worst enemies, petal. I just let them see it.
- Player: What deal did you make with Mayrina? (note:
- Auntie Ethel: The brat's husband is dead. So sad.
- Auntie Ethel: She wanted me to bring him back to life. Little fool thought it would fix everything.
- Player: Do you have any regrets? (if the caster is not Ethel's killer)
- Auntie Ethel: Only one.
- Auntie Ethel: And you'll never know.
- Player: Do you have any regrets? (if the caster is Ethel's killer)
- Auntie Ethel: Only that I don't get to see the flesh melt from your bones, your guts dissolve, and your brain liquefy as you turn into a mind flayer.
- Auntie Ethel: You'll weep, you'll beg, you'll plead - anything to make it stop. And once you stand tall, proud and tentacled?
- Auntie Ethel: You'll butcher your friends and your loved ones LIKE THE ILLITHID SCUM YOU ARE.
Without Tarnished Charm[edit | edit source]
Auntie Ethel: Bleed... choke on... your guts... (if the caster is Ethel's killer) Auntie Ethel: Kill them... kill them... all... (if the caster is not Ethel's killer)
- Player: Why did you want Mayrina?
- Auntie Ethel: Didn't want... the girl... wanted her... babe.
- Auntie Ethel: ... was going to... eat it... and make a... hag daughter...
- Player: Are you the only hag around here?
- Auntie Ethel: Where there's people... there's... hags.
- Player: Where do you keep your valuables?
- Auntie Ethel: In my... workroom...
- Player: Why are you so cruel?
- Auntie Ethel: Not me... that's cruel. It's... people.
- Auntie Ethel: They want... and want... and want. I merely... give.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
- Find a Cure
- Save Mayrina
- Help the Hag Survivors
- Avenge the Hag Survivors
- Save Vanra